Sunday, May 20, 2012

Browns Fan, that is who I am




This is me and my sons, thats how we do it!




I was born in Lorain, Ohio in 1971. My father was born in Ohio and my Mother was born in Pennsylvania (I wont hold that against her I love my mother) but moved to Ohio as a teenager. I started collecting sports cards when I was 8 years old. I had them all, Reggie Rucker, Charles White, Brian Sipe, Lyle Alzado, Dave Logan and I am forgetting a bunch of players and yes I still have them and I'm 41. Although I don't collect cards anymore I occasionally buy a pack just for that old thrill to see if I get a Browns player like when I was a kid. How this all came to be was because of my Father he would tell me "Son you are born and raised here....You root for your home team". Once in awhile I would root for a specific player like Dan Marino or Joe Montana...I mean what kid growing up didn't want to be one of those guys? I always stayed true to my roots and cheered for my Cleveland Browns no matter what or how bad they where.

My point is in telling you all this is that I see so many kids and adults (front runners) today that wear the jerseys of a winning team like the Steelers especially in out area of Ohio. I get that fact that there are transplants, people move, change jobs and I'm OK with that but I would be willing to bet that if the Browns start to win again like they did years ago, those jerseys would fade slowly away. My son is 18 and I taught him the exact same principles as my Father passed onto me when I was young and he is a Browns die hard til the day he takes his last breath as am I. You don`t know how much it kills me to go to a Browns vs Steelers game and to see all those Steeler Jerseys makes me sick, I`m of the thought "Not in My House"

As long as the Browns are in Cleveland I will root for them no matter what, I may not always agree with some of the decision making from a coaching or front office perspective but I root for the name on the front of the jersey not the one on the back. Do I have favorite players yes, do I root for certain players...yes but they come and go the name and colors will always stay the same. I guess i am blessed to have a team to root for because when Art Model stole my team away from me during that horrific night I was heart broken like a long lost friend had passed on. Those years waiting for the Browns to come back were some of the longest years and then finaly 1999 came and they were back. The only good thing was that the Indians were doing very well in the mid to late 90`s and it made it a little easier to wait.

Well Browns fans til next time Go Browns

Please follow me on twitter @AmherstDawg

No comments:

Post a Comment